My Korea Itinerary

19:54:00

Howdy, I am back from Phuket!

Yes it's Phuket and not Korea, which means my blog is extremely outdated. Now that my all my holidays are over, I certainly should settle back down as soon as possible and start clearing all the backlogs I have accumulated over these two month. On the other hand, I probably developed some kind of short-term memory loss somewhere along the way since I have difficulty remembering the things I have done, those still on pending and others that I am halfway through before I headed off. Let's hope my memory comes back from Korea and Phuket soon too because according to the daily SG50 commercial, we are just 48 days away from 2015, and I have no intentions of owing any work over the year. 48 days! Oh dear, I am so far behind with so much to do and so little time T.T

Anyways, to aid my failing memory and the organisation of my blog posts while gearing up for a final full-speed sprint towards 2014 finishing line, I drew up a table of contents for my Korea Itinerary, just like what I did for my Bangkok Itinerary (yeah, I know I am uber creative when it comes to titling my blog posts lolol -.-"). The tempo for the last two days was pretty slow as I fell sick so we decided to cancel our trip to Everland, head out a little later in the day and either spread out our plans or just hang around Hongdae. So, this an overview of the places I have visited over the course of my 10-day trip. As I blog about each of them in time to come, I will create hyperlinks to bring you to the respective blog post. They are mostly black now.. but I promise you will see the "pink links" very soon!

Here's my itinerary:
(Click on the links to find out more)

Day 1: Hongdae Free Market, Hello Kitty Cafe, Trick Eye Museum
Day 2: Namdaemun Market, Myeong-dong, N Seoul Tower
Day 3: Ewha University, Sinchon, a;t Fox Café, Thanks Nature Café
Day 4: Yongduam, Seongsan Ilchulbong Peak, Jeju Folk Village Museum, O'Sulloc Tea Museum, Innisfree Jeju House, Black Pork Street, Jungang Underground Mall
Day 5: Dongdaemun, Dongmyo
Day 6: Petite France, Nami Island, Gwangjang Market
Day 7: Sinsadong Garosu-gil, Apgujeong-Rodeo, Sindang Tteokbokki Town
Day 8: Hyehwa, Ihwa-dong Mural Village, Naksan Park, Garibong Rodeo
Day 9: Gyeongbokgung, Tosokchon, Samcheong-dong, Insa-dong
Day 10: Hongdae, Wangbijib BBQ, Lotte Mart

Tadah, that's a rough guide to the places I have visited this time round. Of course there will be a few random ones here and there too, like the Snow Spoon, which made its appearance in the drama Mary Stayed Out All Night, the Best Burger in Seoul (I seriously think their burgers are the best too!) and Morning Glory, where Yong-hwa and Seohyun bought their 2,000 won couple rings in We Got Married. By the way, I was also constantly on the move and stayed in a couple of different guesthouses to make travelling easier. Their names, rates, location and other basic details are as below if you are looking for recommendations for your accommodation in Korea:-

SEOUL MANSION HONGDAE
147-44 Donggyo-Dong
Mapo-gu, 121-816 Seoul
Tel: +82 10 3382 1316



Double Deluxe Room
KRW 64,000 per night (after 20% referral discount)
Visit their website here

We stayed at Seoul Mansion over the weekend before heading to Jeju. The guesthouse is conveniently located about 3-minutes walk from Exit #3 of Hongik University Station which connects you to the Airport Rail and Subway Line 2. I like that the staff are very helpful and friendly, the cost of accommodation is low and the place is relatively clean and cosy. Do make your booking through their website directly for the various discount schemes. However, the alley that leads to Seoul Mansion can be extremely quiet at night and although I am lucky to have my room on the ground floor, I can foresee others having difficulty bringing their luggages up and down the narrow flight of staircase.

HOTEL HARU JEJU CITY
260-10 Yeon-Dong
690-813 Jeju City
Tel: +82 64 748 1000



Double Room with bath tub
KRW 80,000 per night
Booked via Booking.com here

Public transportation is Jeju is not as developed hence staying in the city so that you can take the public bus instead can save you two costly taxi rides to and fro the airport. This is precisely why I chose Hotel Haru. It is located just 5-minutes away from Jeju Airport (cab fare was about KRW 4,000) and there is a bus-stop at the main street which brings you to various attractions, even those in the rural area. Paris Baguette and convenience stores are situated nearby so meals aren't an issue even though breakfast is not provided. The owners are also very kind to help us with the planning of our routes and to bring us to the Airport upon our check-out after two nights.

HOSTEL VANILLA 2 DONGDAEMUN
34-8 Jongno57-gil
Jongno-gu, Seoul 110-862
Tel: +82 10 2920 5335



Deluxe Double Room
KRW 61,000 per night
Booked via Booking.com here

This is my favourite guesthouse! Love the design of the lounge, the snacks and beverages readily available at the shared kitchen, how value-for-money and also how convenient the hostel is being just 5-minutes away from Exit #10 of Dongmyo Station (Subway Line 1 and 6). Having stayed in Hongdae most of the time, I really like how close I am to the attractions on the left side of the subway map I was, reducing much travelling time when going to places like Nami Island, Sindang Tteokbokki Street, Gangnam and such. Dongdaemun is also within walking distance from the hostel. Besides, the owner is also super friendly and was always there to help guests plan their routes "the local way". As for the room, though my bf finds it rather small, is simple but well-equipped.

CHIC STUDIO FLAT HONGDAE
155-27 Donggyo-dong
Mapo-gu, Seoul 121-816
Tel: +82 10 2920 5335



Private Apartment
SGD $92++ per night
Booked via Airbnb here

On top of travelling like a local, we decided to live like one too by renting a private studio for our last two nights in Korea. The location of the flat was superb, being right atop of Exit #3 of Hongik University Station thus making it extremely easy to find and travel to anywhere. The studio itself is very clean and far exceeded our expectations - everything you could ever possibly need from hairdryer to towels, microwave, washing machine, laptop, portable wifi were provided for. The owner, Jason even prepared instruction manuals, travel guides and tips on the best eating places within the vicinity. He was also very kind to grant us late check-out so we can rest for some time before heading to the airport for our midnight flight back to Singapore.

P.S. if you sign up for Airbnb here, you will also receive a $32 credit to your Airbnb account!

**********

By the way, I have also collated a list of essential Korean phrases for travellers right here. And if you happen to need a subway map, I have this one which I super love below because of the clearly differentiated colours and the station numbering which makes it easy to identify the stations and interchange.



Stay tuned for more details if any attractions caught your eye,
Yvette

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. hi Yvette, my name is heidi from Indonesia. I'm going to Jeju on May 2015, and will be in Hotel Haru for 3 nights. I just wonder, whether the bus stop is near from the hotel? Because I can't find the information about the bus stop. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Yvette, my name is heidi from Indonesia. I'm going to Jeju on May 2015, and will be in Hotel Haru for 3 nights. I just wonder, whether the bus stop is near from the hotel? Because I can't find the information about the bus stop. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi heidi! the bus-stop is located in front of grace hotel on the main road, and hotel haru is located along the side road on the left of the bus-stop (on the right, if you are facing the bus-stop). for the exact location of the bus-stop, try using google map and search for directions from "jeju international airport" to "hotel haru". according to google map, it is a 2-minute walk from the bus-stop to the hotel. hope this helps and let me know if you have other queries. enjoy your time in jeju! ^.^

      Delete
    2. thank you very much Yvette for the info :)

      Delete
  3. Hi!

    When did you go to korea? What were the dates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, for this particular trip in 2014, it was early October :)

      Delete

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors