2014, You Are History

00:37:00

I started the year out the wrong way.

At the age of 24 and seeing all my friends of the same age knowing what they want and are all on the right track towards a happy and successful life, I was worried that what I was then is what I will ever be. I was anxious to find out what exactly am I good at and know what I was meant to do in my life. Only at the final month of this year, I realised that being such a paranoid is going to make my life even more meaningless than how it was supposed to be. I am stressing myself and everyone else around me out 24/7 and I just forgot to stop and smell the flowers.

I am only in my twenties. How am I supposed to know what I want to do in the next three quarters of my life? Even if I know exactly what I want right now, I have experienced enough times to know that it could change drastically the next minute. Why not enjoy life as it is now? Of course I am not saying to lay back and not fight for what you want but instead, to never ever think that you are stuck doing something for the rest of your life even if you are not moving now. There is a timing to every opportunity, if it is now, remember that you have the right to yearn for a career path that makes you come alive and go ahead to take the leap of faith. On the other hand, there is no point setting a resolution and forcing yourself to plunge into it in the next year despite the wrong timing. There is no specific age to do what you are supposed to do.

With this newfound understanding, here's to new beginnings!



I read an article on "rememberlutions", which is actually any jar that you can use to store the wonderful memories and accomplishments you have attained. It works just like a piggybank and its purpose is for you to remember all the rad things you did and remind yourself how freaking awesome you are when the ball drops at the end of 2015. All you have to do is to find a jar (mine is the one in the picture above!) and over the course of the next 12 months, record anything that made you proud, happy, strong and better than yesterday e.g. "started Korean language lessons", "met a new friend" no matter how big or small you think it is. Not sure if you are as enthusiastic about the idea as I am, but I really thought it would be good to start reminding yourself of the good things rather than to focus on your shortcomings in the past year. I will definitely be sharing my achievements 365 days later!

Then again, I might have liked this idea because it forgives me for barely passing my 2014 and serves as a cover-up if I don't do well next year. You see, I have set my resolutions for the past year back here and here is my 2014 report card:

#1 Have 290/500 formatted chords in my library - 58%
#2 Improve my singing and do 14/10 performances - 100%
#3 Improve my pitching and learn harmonising - 10%
#4 Attain Grade 8 certification in music theory - 100%
#5 Restart lessons and start teaching piano and/or keyboard - 10%
#6 Learn to make crafts and accessories - 10%
#7 Restart Korean language lessons - 100%
#8 Attend 12/10 events and attain 42/50k page views - 92%
#9 Have 7/10 videos on my own youtube channel - 70%
#10 Complete 37/60 books, 42/60 movies and 18/20 series - 69%
#11 Write a story and send it to a production company - 10%
#12 Go on 4/5 holiday trips - 80%
#13 Save a 0.01/0.02 pot of gold - 50%
#14 Get an oven and a sewing machine - 100%
#15 Become a featured extra on television - 100%

Total: 63.9%

Hmmm it is actually quite acceptable I think, although I should have worked harder on the items I have quantitative control over. Anyway, 2015 is not going to be easy for me because of a decision that I have finally made and there will be things I will have difficulty putting down and fragments to be cleared up. Life is never going to be the same, but I would never have been more grateful. Regardless, what is past has passed and I should not look back and lament because I ain't going that way. Besides, I am going to be a aunt! How exciting is that?! So let's look forward and see what I shall have in store for me in the brand new year, on top of my rememberlutions of course:

#1 Complete relative and perfect pitch supercourse
#2 >750 chord charts in my library
#3 150k page views by being a VERY active blogger
#4 Attain TOPIK Korean Language beginner certification
#5 Complete 60 movies, 20 series and 200 episodes of Running Man
#6 Save a 0.02 pot of gold within the year
#7 Visit New Zealand!
#8 Determine my ultimate life path

Slightly shorter and less demanding so I can focus on the things that are more important to me. Lastly, a short and light-hearted video to bid 2014 farewell..



In 2014, I found myself again,
Yvette

You Might Also Like

1 comments

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors