Din Tai Fung Marina Bay Link Mall

12:55:00

It has been a month since Yvonne (Tay) left HM and me for a new work place. Although it had only been less than a year since we started hanging out together during lunch, we shared many secrets, experiences and fun. There is no doubt I miss her never-ending jokes and presence in office, but still I am happy that she found and is moving forward to a greener pasture. We had a couple of farewell lunches with Yvonne because one is just insufficient to show how much we dread the arrival of her last day in office, and one of it was at the Din Tai Fung 鼎泰豐 in Marina Bay Link Mall.



Like always, this popular Taiwanese chain is packed during lunch time. Fortunately we were a little earlier than the usual lunch-time crowd hence managed to grab a table for four in the midst of this squeezy restaurant without much wait. Having said that, the ordering, preparation and serving system at DTF is extremely efficient - the crowd gets moving without any perceived jams along the way, and the turnover is fast as their staff bustled about the huge and busy restaurant. Anyway, here's what we had:


Noodle in Fragrant Mushroom & Minced Pork Sauce 特香香菇面 | $9.00

I am more of a rice-person and would usually order the Fried Rice with Pork Chop (see below) instead but both Yvonne and HM ordered that so I thought I should have something else for more variety. So without second thought, I ordered this main because I remembered how absolutely fragrant and delicious the mushrooms and the minced pork sauce are the last time I had it! It was just as good this time round, and the noodle being soaked in the dark sauce, is also very flavourful and chewy compared to the other noodles, dry or soup, on the menu.


Fried Rice with Pork Chop 排骨蛋饭 | $10.80

This would be the fried rice all three of us would recommend to anyone but please just order one to share instead of a plate for each person or you will end up having too much food on the table like us. The pork chop so crazily tender and juicy that all the carbo and oil intake is worth it lol. Judging from the colour of the rice and the small fragments of egg, I also think that one would have fulfilled the entire week's egg consumption limit with this plate of fried rice, but there is no choice - you just have to try it before you can determine fairly whether it is just as worthwhile to you as it is to me.


Stir-fried Dou Miao with Pork Strips 肉丝炒豆苗 | $13.00

I needed my dose of greens, and so Yvonne ordered this since HM likes dou miao (pea shoots) as well. This is surely one of the best dou miao dish I have ever had. The vegetable was well-cooked, luscious and savoury, and the addition of the delicate pork strips added a streak of uniqueness to this otherwise plain and common dish. However, I would have preferred if there was more garlic for a stronger flavour, and I personally thought it was rather pricey for such a small plate of vegetable.


Deep-Fried Vegetable & Pork Wantons 炸菜肉馄饨 | $7.50

This was my first time trying the deep-fried wantons as I would usually go for the Crispy Golden Prawn Pancake when it comes to ordering sides, but I am happy we have done so because they were real good. The wantons were far less oil-soaked as I would have expected for deep-fried dishes, and the blend of vegetable and pork within was rich and yummy. They are very crispy and just as tasty on its own and paired with chilli or the accompanying dark sauce.


Steamed Pork Dumplings 小笼包 (6 pcs) | $7.30

What do you mean you don't intend to order Xiao Long Bao? You unquestionably must! It is precisely why people visit this one Michelin Star restaurant - for their signature steamed pork dumpling although I thought the dumplings were not as plump with broth as before and the steamed crab meat & pork ones are sweeter and better-tasting. Remember to place it on the spoon and nip a small hole on the side for you to truly savor the essence and juiciness of this reputed delicacy without burning your tongues or wasting the broth. I love having this together with the ginger slices soaked in vinegar!

Din Tai Fung Marina Bay Link Mall
8A Marina Boulevard
#B2-05 Marina Bay Link Mall
Singapore 018984
Tel: 6634 7877

The total bill, with an additional three cups of Jasmine tea was about $72 (inclusive of GST and service charge). This was not my first time at DTF. In fact it was my fourth visit to this particular outlet, and it is definitely one of those times when I am extremely satisfied with both the food and service. This certainly made me want to return again as soon as possible for an opportunity to devour the other similarly awesome dishes such as the Original Shanghainese Drunken Chicken 上海醉鸡, Oriental Wantons with Black Vinegar & Chilli Oil 红油抄手 and the Crispy Golden Prawn Pancake 酥脆腐皮虾饼!

What is your favourite dish at Din Tai Fung?
Yvette

*Update: 2nd review available here*

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors