Tosokchon Seoul

16:45:00



Another well-known Korean dish that one should never ever leave out when you visit the country will unquestionably be the Ginseng Chicken Soup (or Samgyetang). It is prepared by stuffing glutinous rice in a whole young chicken and boiling it in a Korean Ginseng broth which includes other herbs such as ginger, wolfberry and angelic sinensis. And if you are wondering where is the place you can find the best and most authentic Ginseng Chicken Soup, many locals, tourists, and also I myself would highly recommend Tosokchon 토속촌, the acclaimed Ginseng Chicken Soup Paradise of Gyeongbokgung.

To get there, take subway line 3 to Gyeongbokgung Station, walk straight from Exit #2 for about 170m, turn left at the convenience store, onto Jahamun-ro 5-gil and you will see a long queue outside a hanok restaurant especially if you are visiting during lunch or dinner hours. And yes, that would be Tosokchon.


We went after lunch so to avoid the queue which was still there at 2.30 pm -.-"


This picture means a lot - I have finally reached the start of the queue

Okay, I exaggerated because the restaurant was big, the serving was fast and so the queue moved rather quickly, and it only us about 20 minutes of wait. Upon entering, a staff in-charge of the queue pointed us to the right, and from there various staff in-charge of the area brought us to a corner table for four and we quickly place our order for one Black Ginseng Chicken Soup (KRW 22,000), hoping that it is going to be more awesome than the normal white chicken, and a Seafood Pancake (KRW 15,000) because like I have said many times before, all Korean pancakes taste amazing.


Free flow of radish and cabbage kimchi. They were really hot!



Each patron will also be served tea and a small cup of ginseng wine. I tasted a bit and it does help to warm the body. How nice if I had visited in winter instead. However, the smell was really strong and I was having a slight fever hence I didn't want to take the entire cup directly. I saw a few patrons pouring their cup of ginseng wine into their soup so I did the same. Thankfully we only had one soup so just one cup will do. My clumsiness had unfortunately donated the other cup to the table lol. What a waste.



This legendary Ginseng Chicken Soup truly lives up to its reputation as one of the best Samgyetang in Seoul. The taste of ginseng was strong and concentrated, the chicken fresh and tender. The ingredients complemented each other really well. You can taste the sweetness of the meat just by drinking the soup and at the same time, the chicken and rice literally "soaked up" the flavour of the ginseng soup. Do dip the meat into some salt and pepper. It's heavenly!

My former bf was full of praises for the Ginseng Chicken. He even chided me for only bringing him here on the second last day of our trip and swore to bring his friends the next time he is in Korea. As for me, I certainly wish I wasn't sick and didn't have to abstain from "heaty" food =(



(Former) bf didn't have much of these as he was not a fan of seafood and leeks, which is a good thing for me because I get to have the whole pancake. And not-so-surprisingly, I finished the whole thing because it was freaking good! They are very generous with the seafood, and the pancake is savoury and filling, but not too heavy so one won't get sick of eating too much pancake. If no one is going to share the pancake with me the next time I am here, I would probably order the pancake as my main and forfeit my chance to have the reputed ginseng chicken soup. Big sacrifice eh?


Loving my pancake ❤❤

Tosokchon 토속촌
5 Jahamun-ro 5-gil
Jongno-gu, Seoul

In overall, the food and experience at Tosokchon was superb and I have no doubt I will return regardless of whether I am visiting any attractions in the vicinity. I hadn't been much of a fan for Ginseng Chicken before but I am a changed woman after this recent trip so much so that I seriously don't mind having my pancake and soup at Tosokchon every day if I am living in Korea because they are THAT good. In fact, their Ginseng Chicken is going to be one of the main reasons I want to go back Korea as soon as possible even though I have been telling everyone I need a break having visited the place three times in the past five years. I must have been drunk when I said that..

Find out more about my Korea itinerary here,
Yvette

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Good sharing. Ginseng is used in traditional and herbal medicine to improve energy levels and concentration. Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer is one of the most well-studied species of ginseng with more than 70 published papers citing its various health promoting benefits. Read more at:
    http://kidbuxblog.com/live-your-life-to-the-fullest/

    ReplyDelete

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors