The Sushi Bar Far East Plaza

14:51:00

Not that I think I have any followers (I always have the perception people just stumble onto this page because I have coincidentally blogged about something they are looking for), but if there is really anyone who happens to be following my blog closely, he or she'd realise I have been blogging very actively as compared to my usual 6 posts a month ever since I returned from Taiwan.

Speaking of which, I haven't even get started on the details of my Taiwan trip because I just have too much backlog to clear and I need to do it fast before they starts piling up especially since my birthday is coming hehe. And since I'd be meeting Qian Yun, Yee Teng and Xing Yi for our usual QYXYT gathering this Saturday, I guess I will allow The Sushi Bar where we had our previous meet-up to celebrate XY's birthday, to jump the queue.

I will start the post with a picture of my favourite item...



Sorry for the substandard photos though they are very commonly found in my blog due to my poor photography skills. I shall be changing my phone soon and I sincerely hope that a new phone will be able to make up for my weakness and improve the overall quality of the pictures here lol.

If you are unfamiliar with The Sushi Bar, it is known by many as the "hidden gem" of Far East Plaza and with the support of their loyal customers, have recently opened another outlet at Ngee Ann City. Having said that, one will presume that this guarantees a greater supply and hence the long queues that are always visible outside the Japanese restaurant will possibly shorten slightly. Unfortunately, that is not the case. If you are just slightly behind time and hadn't been able to make a reservation at least a week beforehand, do make sure you are prepared to wait.

We didn't decide on the location till the very last minute and it was by then too late to make a reservation. Thus we decided to turn up at the restaurant early. We were fortunate enough to be seated right away, and that was also when the queue starts forming. As soon as we got comfortable in our seats, placed our orders and had our warm green tea served, there were already at least 5 groups of people waiting outside. Scary isn't it? The popularity and power of such a simple start-up.


Scallop Mentaiyaki | $13.90

Scallop is one of my favourite sashimi but I thought the mentaiko mayonnaise sauce kind off overpowered the thinly sliced pieces of fresh scallop so much so that I wouldn't tell that I was having scallop if I hadn't already known in the first place. It was delicious as a whole nonetheless.


Chawanmushi | $2.90

The chawanmushi at The Sushi Bar was very light and smooth. The ingredients were adequate, but it tasted a little salty for me and is definitely not the best I have ever had if one is to compare. I would think that the chawanmushi at Itacho would beat this one easily.


Bara Chirashi Don | $19.90

I love the Bara Chirashi Don. It totally shouts freshness, the serving is generous and each slice is thick enough to bring out the natural sweetness of the fish. Even the Salmon Roe was good on its own. Besides, this bowl of diced sashimi is so pretty and Instagram-worthy!


Kaki Ponzu | $5.20 each

The freshness of the oysters is certainly top-notched. The oyster itself was plump, and coupled with ponzu sasuce, lemon and spring onions, it was refreshing and satisfying to the nth degree. I wish we had ordered more but because QY doesn't take oysters and we were splitting the bill equally, it doesn't seem fair if we did. Moral of the story, bring someone who eats oysters haha.


Sirloin Steak | $14.90 for 100g

Alas, another item that we should have ordered in greater quantity. It was so so divine that it is good on its own without the sauces that were served together. A must-order regardless of whether you are a steak lover or not. I don't even like beef, yet I am loving this to bits. Just by looking at its picture makes me wanna hop over to The Sushi Bar right now.


Soft Shell Crab Salmon Aburi | $17.90

This salmon aburi is comparable to the reputed Shiok Maki at Koh Grill & Sushi Bar, and definitely one of the best I have ever had. You can totally feel the fresh salmon, crispy soft shell crab and a variety of flavours melt in your mouth in a single bite. Absolutely fantastic.

We also ordered a Salmon Don ($15.90) and a bowl of Sushi Rice at ($1.00) even though most of us were relatively full because we just could not have enough of the food. Even the most fundamental item like the Japanese rice was so fragrant and delicious that YT requested for a bowl of sushi rice just for herself while the rest of us share the rice from the salmon don.

The Sushi Bar
14 Scotts Road
#04-28 Far East Plaza
Singapore 228213
Tel: 9653 6464

Weekday Lunch: 12.30pm to 3pm
Weekday Dinner: 5.30pm to 9pm
Saturday: 12.30pm to 9pm

With very minimal furnishing, The Sushi Bar is a small and simple hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant that serves quality dishes at a price that is affordable and attractive to sushi or sashimi-lovers. The service was acceptable, and the entire meals cost us $130.55, inclusive of $6 for four cups of refillable hot green tea, as well as the usual 10% service charge and 7% GST. Though it hadn't the cheapest price tag, the quality we received is undeniably worthy of our every moolah.

It was still quite early after our meal so YT suggested to head over to Nunsaram for some authentic Korean Bingsu 빙수, a shaved ice dessert with sweet toppings such as condensed milk, syrup, ice-cream and chopped fruits ^.^



"Nun" actually means snow and "saram" person, so the word Nunsaram literally translate to "snowman" in Korean. Korean is actually quite interesting and very much similar to Chinese. Just this case for instance, don't you find it similar to Chinese's 雪人? Upon reaching the cafe, we had a little difficulty in finding a table for four in the midst of the crowd and when we finally did, we were faced with yet another predicament in choosing the one Bingsu that we are all okay with amongst the large variety of flavours Nunsaram offers. After much deliberation, all of us agreed to go with this..


Mango Bingsu | $15.90

The Bingsu here is made of shaved milk hence the mega soft, smooth and light texture. I like it how it literally melts in your mouth, but unfortunately it melts in the bowl real fast at the same time too so one will really need to gobble up everything instead of being able to savour its taste with your own sweet time if you don't appreciate the milk that is left. I don't. And even though we have had four spoons digging on the dessert simultaneously, we failed to "save" all the ice.

As for the diced mangoes, they tasted really fresh though I found them a little too sweet since they were soaked in syrup. I would very much prefer the mango ice-cream that has bits of mangoes within. It was enjoyable overall, just nice to be shared among four so one wouldn't get too sick of all the mangoes.

Nunsaram Korean Dessert Cafe
181 Orchard Road
#05-51/52 Orchard Central
Singapore 238896
Opening Hours: 11am to 10pm (Mon-Sun)

Last but not least, group photo~~



Looking forward to our date this Saturday,
Yvette

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Hi! Drooling over the sirloin steak pic, how many grams was that and do u noe if there is a min weight to order? Not familiar with ordering by weight, haha ^_^"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! the sirloin steak at the sushi bar only comes in 100g or 200g. what we had was the portion for 100g :)

      Delete

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors