Sufood 舒果 Singapore

17:56:00

Met up with Yu Lei for lunch sometime late June to celebrate my belated birthday and she brought me to Sufood, a meat-free concept restaurant founded in Taiwan that was only launched Singapore in May 2014. The menu offers Italian-inspired dishes with no artificial flavours or MSG, and thus relies hugely on the quality of the fresh ingredients to create innovative and delicious meat-free cuisines.

I have never heard of Sufood before this visit and frankly, I only realised it is a vegetarian restaurant after Yu Lei pointed it out to me even though I was already seated inside with the menu opened right before me. Although I do try to minimise my meat intake and opt for vegetarian meals at times, I just didn't expect a vegetarian restaurant can be so attractive to such a huge crowd that reservations have to be made or one shall be prepared to wait. The place was practically packed with no empty seats to be found, and the food on everyone's table looks superbly good.

The dishes here are served in the form of a 8-course meal that is priced at $29.80++. Diners are offered a wide variety of choices for the salad, soup, main, dessert and drink whilst other options such as the starter, bread and cider, are fixed. These are the choices Yu Lei and I made, and let's see if the food here is really as good as what the others say!


Starter: The Sufood Appetiser

The Sufood appetiser is a delicate trio of poached Japanese Yuca root drizzled with a blueberry coulis, a stack of oriental white water snowflake greens and a savoury cherry tomato jelly (right to left). Due to the crunchiness of the root, the first item was definitely my favourite. It was a great start to the entire meal.


Bread: Rosemary Breadsticks

There is a choice of mustard or blueberry dip for the rosemary breadsticks and we chose the latter since we are not so much of a sweets person. The breadsticks weren't fanciful, but I do like how soft and fluffy they are. Thought it is way more enjoyable than those hard-like-rocks bread we get at fine-dining.


Cider: Sufood Signature Cider

Chilled vinegar drinks are widely popular in Taiwan due to its health benefits and in this case, I was told to take a sip of the drink after each course so as to cleanse the palate before embarking on the next dish. I am absolutely in love with how tasty and refreshing the vinegar was!


Salad: Tropical Fruit Salad

The tropical fruit salad was nothing impressive though I do like the mixture of fresh seasonal fruits and also how cooling and refreshing it was. There is also a choice of strawberry yogurt or blueberry dressing. I chose the former but the fruits and yogurt were quite sweet together so I had them separately instead. Other salad choices are: Lettuce Vinaigrette Salad, Mushroom Salad and Classic Garden Salad.


Soup: Root Soup

Both of us chose the same soup as well because it just seem more appetising than the other options, which are the Cabbage & Sweet Potato Stew, Cream of Pumpkin Soup and French Onion and Cheese Soup (wait, this one doesn't sound too bad). Unlike the usual root soup we have, this one is rather light and revitalising. One of the rare cases I would actually enjoy the usually disgusting gingko nuts.


Main #1: Macaroni Alfredo Casserole


Main #2: Star Pizza

There was a much wider range of selections for the mains yet once again, both of us wanted to get the star pizza before I thought we should add more variety to the table and eventually settled on the Macaroni Alfredo Casserole instead and fortunately, it wasn't a bad decision at all. I thought it will turn out overwhelmingly cheesy but all the ingredients complemented each other really well. The taste was splendid and I finished the entire plate despite the huge portion.

The Star Pizza was deliciously filled with oyster mushrooms, mustard sauce, seaweed and lots of wasabi, and its crust was embedded with cream cheese which made it really exquisite! By the way, please do not mistaken the piece of plastic on the pizza as rubbish - it is a glove for diners who do not wish to dirty their hands while enjoying the meal. Similarly, the portion was really large.

Other mains available on the menu include the Curry Cheese Pizza, Potato Crisp Pizza, Homemade Vegetable Calzone, Baked Potato Al Funghi, Mediterranean Vegetable Skewers, Vegetable Pita Pockets, Primavera Spaghetti, Wild Mushroom Charcoal Tagliatelle, Porcini Pasta and Spaghetti Pesto.


Dessert #1: Vanilla Ice-Cream with Hot Chocolate


Dessert #2: Osmanthus Flower Jelly

Dessert was an easy one for me since I will never miss any ice-cream, especially when it is vanilla-flavoured and comes with hot chocolate. The ice-cream was tasty, but the hot chocolate was not as hot as I expected perhaps because they have had it on stand-by for an extended period, hence it was difficult to pour it out onto the ice-cream. Just a small complaint. I love it nonetheless.

I tried a bit of Yu Lei's Osmanthus Flower Jelly too. It was not to bad - a little bland but no doubt fragrant and cooling. Two other desserts available for one to choose are the Sesame Panna Cotta and the Red Bean Dessert with Yam Cubes.


Drink #1: Yuzu Chamomile Tea


Drink #2: The Ashitaba

Not much to say about the drinks except that they were very much welcomed at the end of the meal. Yu Lei's Yuzu Chamomile Tea was pretty normal to me since I am not a fan of warm beverages. The Ashitaba on the other hand was surprisingly delightful. I will hope to try The Tropical as well as The Very Berry next time. Other drinks include the Passion Fruit Calamansi Tea, Mint Herbal Tea, Eco-friendly Black Tea and Eco-friendly Coffee.

Sufood 舒果
252 North Bridge Road
#02-19 Raffles City
Singapore 179103
Tel: 6333 5338

Lunch: 11.30am to 4.30pm (last order at 3pm)
Dinner: 5.30pm to 10.30pm (last order at 9pm)
Visit their website here

Not forgetting the impeccable customer service, $29.80++ for a full 8-course meal in a beautifully-furnished restaurant located in Raffles City is certainly worth a try for the experience regardless of whether you are a vegetarian or not. Most of the dishes definitely impressed me. It never came across my mind that vegetarian meals could be plated as impressively as any other meals, and taste as delectable as that of a carnivore. I will definitely return, especially since I have a couple of friends who are vegetarians. I am sure they will love this place as much as me, a meat-lover do!



After our meal at Sufood, we headed over to Raffles Place where Yu Lei signed up for her Japanese Language course and then we took a long stroll down to Marina South Pier (since we have nowhere else to go), where happened to run into the aerial display for one of the many NDP rehearsals while enjoying the warm breeze and scenery. Pretty cool to know this was the area the Singapore Flag hangs around while waiting for the parade to be ready for its flypast during the National Anthem. Both of us even brought Kay, YT and QY back on another Saturday to view the fireworks lol.



NDP pictures coming up soon,
Yvette

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors