The Soup Restaurant 三盅两件

21:50:00

I think farewell lunches and dinners are awkward and I never want anyone to feel obligated to give me a treat just because I am leaving. I don't mind giving them at all myself, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to my turn, I just didn't feel right leveraging and feeding on people who are working hard, more so when this is my second time leaving this company. And so I didn't inform anyone about my departure.

But till now, I am unsure whether it was the correct thing to do because I still receive messages from colleagues who were shocked to discover that a new girl is sitting at my workstation when they visit the floor I am working on and I am guilty that they have to find out about my resignation this way. I was definitely immature to think that nobody will notice my absence, so to these colleagues who took the effort to contact me, ask me how I am doing and give me their blessings, I am really sorry and at the same time, touched. As promised, I will look for you when I return.

On the other hand, I owed it to Shuxian and Annie for them to know about my plans since they were the ones who never stopped showing their concern for me and gave me advice whenever I needed them since before I first left. I had many times turned down their request for a farewell dinner and I didn't expect this visit to The Soup Restaurant at Suntec City Mall to be it since I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a birthday dinner for Annie and I wanted to treat Shuxian whose birthday was around the corner too. Great, I owe both of them one big time again.



In any case, the very first The Soup Restaurant outlet was established in Smith Street back in 1991 to introduce a series of Cantonese-based nutritious home-cooked dishes that originated from the old Chinatown in the 1950s. Today, The Soup Restaurant has become one of the restaurant chains that we are most familiar with, with numerous outlets island wide. I am personally a big fan of the Samsui Ginger Chicken (see pictures above and below), and it was the reason why I have learnt to accept ginger even though I used to hate its pungent smell as well as the warm and sharp bite to it as a teenager. I even bought their bottled samsui ginger from supermarkets occasionally because they just taste so good with everything from steamed fish to herbal soup, and such. An absolute delight.


Samsui Ginger Chicken (Half)

And yup, this is the reputable dish one must have when one visits The Soup Restaurant! The Samsui Ginger Chicken is a traditional Samsui dish only once a year during Chinese New Year. Keeping its origins intact, the chicken was steamed without much seasoning and was complemented by the fragrant sauce made from ginger and sesame oil. Although it is now served with lettuce and cucumber for the extra crunch, I find it unnecessary because the chicken is already super tender and very exquisite on its own, and simply heavenly when accompanied by the ginger sauce. This is ♥♥♥

Apart from the die-also-must-order Samsui Ginger Chicken, we also had these dishes..


Penang Fried Mee Suah

I wanted the Teochew Olive Rice, Shuxian wanted the Pig Trotters Bee Hoon so we eventually settled on the Penang Fried Mee Suah that was highly recommended by the patient waiter who took our order. It was good but I thought it was nothing particularly spectacular nor worthy of the extra buck though just by judging from the picture, you'd see that the chief was very generous with the ingredients. However, having more ingredients than the mee suah itself makes the overall taste rather "jumbled".


Squid with Salted Egg Yolk

These pictures were unedited and you can be sure the actual dish looks just as good as it does in the picture, and looking at these squid marinated with salted egg yolk and the extra spices really makes my mouth water. If you like custard lava buns, this is just like having the custard lava on the outside of the luscious and springy squid. It tastes superb, thumbs-up!


Ah Gong Potato Leaves (Sambal)

Last but not least, daily dose of vegetables. I remember telling my dad that I like potato leaves when I was young, and he said that I am fated to lead a poor life thus since only poor people eats potato leaves back in the early days hahaha. I don't mind being poor if I can such tasty and flavourful potato leaves. In all honesty, I think I could finish this entire plate of vegetables on my own because it was really that good. If you are not a fan of sambal, you can opt for the plain version too.

The Soup Restaurant 三盅两件
3 Temasek Boulevard
#B1-122 Suntec City Mall
Singapore 038983
Tel: 6333 9886

Weekday Lunch: 11.30 am to 2.30 pm
Weekday Dinner: 5.30 pm to 10 pm
Weekends and Public Holidays: 11.30 am to 10 pm

The total bill for the meal inclusive of the chinese tea, wet tissues, GST and service charges, was slightly less than $80 for three of us. Considering the amount of food we had and the fact that this is a restaurant, the price was pretty reasonable. The service staff were prompt and very helpful, and the dishes were served very quickly. Everything was up on our table in less than ten minutes and we never needed to open our mouth and asks for a refill of our drinks. I was really impressed. Will I return? There is no doubt about it. Even if there is no Squid with Salted Egg or Ah Gong Potato Leaves to speak of, I will come back just for the highly recommended Samsui Ginger Chicken alone.

Omg, I wanna some tender chicken now..
Yvette

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors