New Station Snack Bar

01:59:00

It is not that we have dinner very frequently. I am the culprit lagging in my blogging and I do recognise that this second food post in a row with XC mentioned certainly gives off the impression that we feast every now and then. What I do realise as well, is that every time I mention XC in my post, there has to be some food involved. So dear XC, let's not meet too often for the sake of my diet lolol.

In any case, XC found this place well-known for its Salted Egg Pork Ribs on Instagram and thought it absolutely necessary to show it to me so I would visit the eatery with her. Well, when it comes to salted egg, the success rate of me being tempted is almost 100% so here we are on a faithful weekday evening, at New Station Snack Bar.



New Station Snack Bar is a small eatery located on the top floor of Far East Plaza. The seats are extremely limited given its size, so do be early to avoid the lunch or dinner crowd or risk having to wait along the corridor. On the other hand, be warned of the hungry stares while enjoying your meal.



Here's the menu though I thought it was rather useless when some of the prominent items save their famous Salted Egg Pork Rib were unavailable. We ordered Sambal Kangkong initially, but the waitress returned to say it is unavailable. Eventually, we decided to replace it with an omelette instead, and they actually told us they ran out of eggs. Seriously!

At first, I presumed we were simply plain unlucky, but after visiting their Facebook page and reading some reviews online, it seems that such situation, or perhaps this "claim" is quite frequent. I do wonder how they managed to serve fried rice to other tables when they have no eggs to spare for my omelette. I find it hard to believe that all the other items on the menu do not require egg as an ingredient or that an eatery will refuse to stock up more eggs. It is eggs you are talking about, you know?


Hot Plate Beancurd | $11

So, we were recommended to have this in replacement of the omelette. And of course I wasn't happy. I want my egg and I don't even like most beancurd. Okay, that was just me being all spoilt and annoyed, but to be honest and as unbiased as possible, this dish was tasteless to me. The gravy was thick but bland as well. I was left picking the carrots, mushrooms and other ingredients on top after the first bite. Considering how popular this dish is supposed to be, it was a disappointment.


Seafood Crispy Noodles | $4.80

I ordered the Seafood Crispy Noodles as my main, and it was one of the few times I made the correct decision. The gravy was exceptional and they were generous with the ingredients. However, you might want to stir it a bit when it arrives and submerge the ingredients in the gravy to make sure it is entirely cooked. The first fishball I bit into was cold inside. You can see from the picture too, that the prawns weren't fully cooked yet.


Claypot Chicken Rice | $5.30

And this was XC's choice of main as the clay pot rice here were supposedly highly recommended on Instagram as well. But for some reason, my Seafood Crispy Noodles that was not recommended by anyone seems to fare better than the famous hotplate beancurd and clay pot rice. I do like the fact that it is "dark" enough and ingredients were aplenty, but the rice was extremely hard. Based on my experience with the noodles, I highly suspect I was eating uncooked grains lolol.


Salted Egg Pork Ribs | $11

Last but not least would be the long-awaited Salted Egg Pork Ribs, the one dish that truly lives up to its name! The pork ribs were boneless (most important factor for lazy people like me) and absolutely tender. Drenched with the exquisite gravy flavoured with chilli padi and curry leaves, it was simply heavenly. In fact, the gravy was so inviting that we were eating it on its own, and pouring some of the leftovers into the clay pot rice. I even ate all the curry leaves. Not the chilli padi though -- I tried and possibly breathed fire.

New Station Snack Bar
14 Scotts Road
#05-95 Far East Plaza
Singapore 228213

In overview, I must admit that while I am blown away by the Salted Egg Pork Ribs, I was not impressed with the lack of menu items especially egg dishes. Neither was I dazzled with the other dishes which were absolutely nothing extraordinary. There is frankly no need to go to Orchard specially to have them when you can have better ones at any random tze char stalls. As for whether I will return, I would say "probably" but only because of the Salted Egg Pork Ribs. XC went back twice after this initial visit, though!

Salted egg forever,
Yvette

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors