2017 | Like. Laugh. Learn.

17:06:00

"The secret to getting ahead is getting started."
- Mark Twain

7 days into the new year, and I already know 2017 will be awesome. Although it has only been slightly more than a week since I started work, it is turning out really well and I have a strong feeling I have found my niche in life because it totally employs my strength, my past experiences, my objectives, my interests etc. This position is almost like a consolidation of all I have done in school, in Esplanade, in WongPartnership and in Rhythm & Wave from event management, to data management, creating websites, decorating and even creating gifts from scratch. Unlike my previous duties, this is not going to be easy but this is what that is going to push me off the armchair and mediocre life I have been resting on and leading for so long.

I wanted a meaningful career and this was it. I wanted one that allows me to learn and grow, and they have all sorts of in-course and outsourced courses and activities I can sign up for as well as memberships to online learning platforms. For the past 7 days, I have been attending course after course learning advanced Excel, Photoshop and even singing! So in 2017, I managed to start a career, not a job, and one I will stick on to and not give up. 2017 is also going to be the year I begin a more active and healthy lifestyle by exercising more and eating less, and the last year I am having this one as a resolution -- to learn cycling.

Instead of setting specific quantified goals e.g. "read 30 books" or "complete Korean Level 2" like I usually do each year, I prepared a calendar to list down my achievements each day, be it "went for jogging" or "completed Korean Lesson 1". While I do have plans read more, do more voluntary work, complete a few courses, I do realise the process is just as important as the result. In other words, I may not be able to read 30 books, but it does not mean that the 1 book I read does not count. Like what Mark Twain said, the most important thing is to get started. I should stop stressing over things and clear up the memory space I use to keep count of everything. Rather than having an eventful year, I will have 365 remarkable days being appreciative and finding happiness in small details in life, like the simple but heartwarming steamboat lunch with QYXYT on New Year's Eve before dinner with S10 peeps:


XY prepared my favourite seaweed chicken T.T


Gryffindor socks and lanyard from Yu Lei when we met during dinner!

Super happy to receive these surprise presents from YL who just returned from her honeymoon in Japan. I love Harry Potter! When I got the presents wrapped in HP plastic bag from YL, we started discussing about HP and I mentioned my favourite house is Slytherin but Pottermore puts me in Ravenclaw. Then YL's face suddenly changed and said "Why you didn't say earlier!" Apparently she wanted to get me the school scarf but Gryffindor's was out of stock. So if I had said earlier she would have gotten the Slytherin scarf or at least will not get Gryffindor socks and lanyard for me. So sweet and nice of her! DON'T WORRY, I LOVE GRYFFINDOR TOO.

To end this post, I also hope to be a better person to myself and to others on top of the other goals I have for myself for the new year. I want to be less critical as well as to help myself and others to feel a little better about ourselves and to get what we all want in life or work. I may not have that much of a capability, but two heads are better than one and the only way I can get better is to get started!

Here's to an industrious 2017 ^.^
Yvette

You Might Also Like

2 comments

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors