Koh Grill & Sushi Bar

21:55:00

Before we embark on my super exciting (for me, at least) expedition to Osaka, let's have some "appetisers" from one of my all-time favourite Japanese restaurant, first introduced to me by Sheryl, the Koh Grill & Sushi Bar!

Oh man, I think it has been too long since I visited, and I should correct this as soon as possible. But right now, I guess I can only 望梅止渴 with just the photos to look at as my hands typing these words and my stomach growling with hunger..


Yaki Udon | $10

The Japanese fried noodles with carrots, eggs, vegetables and some bonito flakes that taste remarkably similar to our local fried lao shu fen 老鼠粉 or silver needle noodles 银针粉. It was rather tasteless to me and is something I would never order again, although it is apparently one of the "hot dishes" that many would have when they frequent Koh Grill.


Salmon Avocado Maki | $10

Sheryl and I ordered this as we wanted to have some ikura (salmon roe). Love the ikura, love the salmon, love the avocado but even the combination of the three could not make up for the plain rice. Even the roasted sesame and seaweed did not help.


Shirane Tofu | $8

Thought I would try this considering how Koh Grill managed to make me eat tofu with their Pitan Tofu. But nope, it is still tasteless. Looks like Pitan Tofu will still be the only tofu I eat for now. Thankfully, the dish includes crispy fish skin, bonito flakes and tobiko, so these were the items I went for instead. The sauce is awesome though.

Asparagus Buta Special | $10

This dish came as a disappointment to me. I really like stir-fried asparagus wrapped in pork belly but Koh Grill's interpretation was nothing near the juicy version I had in mind. The pork belly was as dry as the asparagus was hard, making it difficult to bite and chew.


Unagi and Egg Hotplate | $12

Once again, I like eel and I like eggs but somehow Koh Grill seem to be unable to combine two things I like into something I would enjoy. The egg was a little too light and dry for my preference, and the eel had too much sauce that it tasted slightly bitter.

Teppanyaki Beef | $12

The Teppanyaki Beef at Koh Grill is definitely succulent and has a pleasingly rich and sweet taste to it. Not bad to be honest, but I would still prefer the Sirloin Steak from the Sushi Bar at Far East Plaza, which I think is more luscious and evenly cooked.

Now is the time for the GOOD STUFF!
Introducing the other maki I have tried..


Pitan Maki | $16.80

Okay.. this is not really the beesssttt maki out there but I am partial to the Pitan sauce and I do appreciate the generous serving of tobiko although the rice was still plain, as per the Salmon Avocado Maki above. They are literally the same except for the topping.


Crappy Maki | $18

Crispy soft-shell crab and wakame seaweed wrapped with seared swordfish belly and as usual, a lavish sprinkle of tobiko. Flavourful and slightly spicy, this is my second favourite maki in the house!


Shiok!!! Maki | $16.80

And of course, my favourite would be the dish Koh Grill is best known for -- Shiok!!! Maki, a heavenly combination of charcoal grilled eel wrapped with lightly roasted salmon. This taste SO good and absolutely melts in your mouth, it is a must-order for any diner.

Speaking of "must-order", here are the two dishes I just have to have every single time I visit that were first introduced to me by Sheryl as well. I would strongly recommend you guys to try them too!


Deep-Fried Salmon Skin | $4

There are two types of salmon skin on the menu but do not bother with the other one. Just go for the deep-fried and you would not regret it. They are so crispy, juicy and tasty that I can have them on their own without the dash of lemon or the mayonnaise that comes with the inviting deep-fried salmon skin.


Pitan Tofu | $4

Last on the list but certainly not the least, my uber-favourite Pitan Tofu! Lets give a round of applause to the creator of this chilled tofu with century egg and flying fish roe dish at Koh Grill because it is one of the best things I have ever had. And for someone who never liked tofu, this means a lot.

Koh Grill & Sushi Bar
435 Orchard Road
#04-21 Wisma Atria Shopping Centre
Singapore 238877

So in case you are wondering whether I actually had so much food, these pictures were accumulated from the few times I visited Koh Grill & Sushi Bar last year. And if you are planning to visit during dinner, do try to reach before 6.30 pm or be prepared to queue. Don't say I didn't warn you, the queue is absolutely crazy and the restaurant would be so packed that you would have difficulty trying to get the staff to notice you or refill your tea.

On a side note, it has been so long since I did a proper food review, I almost forgot how I usually do it. I guess it is a major sign for me to slow down in my crazy 24/7 attempt to catch up on my career before I lose track of myself and the things that are truly important. Wow, I am spouting random words of wisdom. Is this another sign that I am getting old?

Adding another year to my age very soon,
Yvette

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@yveyanxi

Latest Video @yveyanxi

Ads & Sponsors